Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ronald Reagan comes back to haunt the House

HB 210, which was placed on today's Local and Consent Calendar, just passed to 3rd reading. The bill would rename I-20 from Dallas to the Louisiana border the Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway. Currently, the only part of I-20 with the name is within the Metroplex.

I posted something on this last session, and I'll keep the rant short: let locals do it, not lawmakers hundreds of miles away. If Texans really want to rename an interstate after a partisan lawmaker from another state, then so be it. But lawmakers operating on their own agenda are the driving force behind this. It's just a waste of money putting up new signs, not to mention bad politics.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger paprgl said...

Did you know that Dwight Eisenhower was born in Texas? I had no idea until I drove down US 75.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger imasuit said...

Yes, I am well aware that Eisenhower was born in Texas. I have much less of a problem if the person who the highway's going to be named after was born, resided, or spent more than just a campaign stop in Texas. I actually liked Eisenhower, who I see as one of the best U.S. Presidents since he took office and am very proud that he originally came from Texas.

However, Ronald Reagan was neither born here or ever resided here. He's still a controversial, partisan figure whose legacy is still be debated as Republicans nationwide look to glorify him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home