Friday, February 25, 2005

More on the more tax revenue

As I alluded to on Wednesday, Republicans are looking for ways to increase tax revenue without new taxes. Columnist Ken Rodriguez with the San Antonio Express-News had a really good column today further explaining this conundrum: there will be no new taxes, but there will be new user fees at places like strip clubs and tattoo and body-piercing parlors. Instead of the dreaded $1 cigarette tax, there will be a $1 cigarette user fee.

My favorite is the "Realtor Transaction Fee." It's supposed to offset reduced property taxes. Rodriguez puts it nicely:

I'm not exactly sure what a Realtor Transaction Fee is, but if it means paying an extra two grand when I buy a house so I can get a $200 reduction on my property taxes, I'm all for it.

Yes sir, if Gov. Rick Perry wants my vote in 2006, he can raise fees all he wants, as long as he doesn't raise taxes.


What in the tarnation is going on here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home