Monday, March 07, 2005

Bills on state investments

In the spirit of openness and transparency, Rep. Dan Gattis (R-Georgetown) filed HB 223 to increase public awareness of state investments. "It is the policy of this state that investments of the government are investments of and for the people and the people are entitled to information regarding those investments. The provisions of this section shall be liberally construed to implement this policy."

Transparency in state decisions is paramount to a democracy, and letting sunlight into state investments is a key step in this. U.S. Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) introduced the OPEN Government Act using these same principles.

HB 815 was introduced by Rep. Lon Burnam (D-Fort Worth) to ban state investments in Sudan in light of the military actions in that country, which many are calling genocide. HB 817 was introduced by Yvonne Davis (D-Dallas) a while back on behalf of the AFL-CIO to prevent any state promotion of job outsourcing through investments.

2 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi imasuit, I have been visiting sites for hours and I really like what you have done with your blog. Informative and interesting! In fact I found your site just after
I visited finance
It's not exactly what I was looking for but it was nonetheless interesting to read.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about money

I have been doing hours of research on "1031 exchange" and it brought me to your blog on Bills on state investments. Anyways, imasuit I was reading your blog and I think it is really cool. It’s really a pleasure reading your posts! Keep up the great work.

Keep blogging away :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home