Thursday, March 24, 2005

Part of U.S. 290 to be re-named for Ronald Reagan

After the House had voted nearly in unison for HB 789, the floor debate spiraled down to partisan politics to debate re-naming the section of U.S. 290 that's in Harris County, in Houston, as the Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway. The funds to change it will be paid for privately.

It was fun to watch Rep. Jessica Farrar (D-Houston) throw out amendments to name it for Ex-President Dwight Eisenhauer - a native Texan - LBJ, Lady Bird Johnson, and Stephen F. Austin. She said she also had a handful of other amendments for William Travis, Barbara Jordan, and others, but she ended up not filing those amendments - it was late and they had just debated telecom just an hour or so before. Rep. Garnet Coleman (D-Houston) had to re-assure everyone a few times that his amendment to name it for George H.W. Bush wasn't a joke. In the end, the amendment was killed, and the bill was approved.

Here's a thought: leave it to a city referendum. I think that given the area, it could get approved, but then again citizens in that area might not like a partisan lawmaker from California. But's not something that should be decided by lawmakers 150 miles away. I understand how transportation matters like that get approved, but the method just ain't right.

Maybe that method could change for when HB 55 by Rep. Kent Grusendorf comes up for floor debate next week, which would re-name the part of I-20 located in Dallas and Tarrant Counties as the Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway, or if HB 110, which would re-name in the inner circle drive around the Capitol - the part of Congress between 11th and 15th streets - as the Ronald Reagan Circle, goes anywhere.

12 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous bluebonnet said...

I liked the part where (I think it was) Senfronia Thompson was asking Rep. Farrar, "Now did you say that Reagan was born in Texas? . . Did you say it was Reagan who started the highway program?" and Farrar replied, "No, that was Eisenhower."

I got so pissed off by Bohac I couldn't watch much more than that.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey nice blog! I just want you too know that I have a reno hotel blog/sie too!
It's a free information web site for discount hotel rooms!
It can help you save big on your next trip!
You should check it out if you get a chance :-)

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Askinstoo said...

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Google Page Rank 6 said...

Want more clicks to your Adsense Ads on your Blog?

Then you have to check out my blog. I have found a FREE and Legitimate way that will increase your earnings.

Come Check us out. How to Boost Your AdSense Revenue

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for blogs that had Dallas, TX in them and came across yours. I live in Dallas and have a self defense school. I like the posts on your blog, so I've bookmarked it to stop back by periodically. Take care.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger 性爱 said...

I am totally nude come see me. Take a bit for all pics and movies to load.

Why do I do this I like to make men blow their jiz in their pants.

Visit me.性爱

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on canada long distance service
canada long distance service

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger job opportunitya said...

Awesome blog. I'm loving the site and I have to
return there soon! Going online, when I have the time,
I look for blogs close to your work!
Stop by and visiit my plastic surgery tummy tuck blog!

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger job opportunitya said...

I look for blogs as great as your work. Fine
blog. I found your site suitable for another visit!
Search for my hollywood plastic surgery blog, it will leave you speechless.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger luvz-desire said...

Exciting blog. Your site was amazing and will be
back again! I never get tired of looking for blogs
just like this one.
I can't explain, but you need to check my cash advance indianapolis blog!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger thomas said...

Great blog! Just added you to my favorites. Maybe you want to do the same. I am at http://www.savings-on-hotels.com/. I update my site frequently with new articles and information. If you do not want to no big deal. I must say though I enjoyed reading through your blog archives. Some very useful information. I already forwarded your blog link over to a few of my buddies who have similar interests. So if you see some funny remarks it maybe them! Anyways, thanks again from! discount hotel in paris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home